Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Reversible Baby Sun Hat



Earlier this month I shared a baby sun hat tutorial and pattern and promised to share a follow-up if I made a reversible hat.

This is super easy to do if you have a sewing machine with a button hole stitch and foot. First, follow all the steps from the original tutorial.

Next, you need to add a button hole on each side of the brim. Measure 3/8" away from the base of the crown and make a mark. (You want the button holes to be perpendicular to the seams in the brim.) Choose a button that will make a button hole slightly longer than the width of the chin straps. Sew the button holes and cut out the fabric inside.


When you want to reverse the hat simply pull the chin straps through the button holes.


11 comments:

  1. great idea!!! I'm making one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just commented on your original sun hat post saying you could make it reversible by doing exactly this. I guess I should have read the part where you said "Update: reversible hat here"! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah
    Do you do the slip stitch by hand ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! I am new to sewing - just learning to quilt. But I'm going to try this. It's just so cute! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great hat, the model is so pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of a buttonhole, I left a gap when sewing the brims to the crowns of both inside and outside for the ties to pass through. Wish I could share my photo with you! Thanks for the terrific instructions! I used a McCall's pattern for the hat, but referred to your instructions for assembly as I was adding the ties and their order of assembly just didn't work with the ties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,

    I love your hat and instructions. Thank you. How does one enlarge this pattern (9- 12 months) for an older baby/toddler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't have any experience grading patterns, but there are a lot of helpful websites on this topic. Simply Google "How to grade a sewing pattern". Hopefully that helps!

      Delete